InkStainedFingers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

InkStainedFingers - Your number one GFX resource!

2 posters

How to make rocks.

Pivetor
    Pivetor
    Admins
    Admins

Character sheet
    Name: Rainbow Dash
    Health:
    How to make rocks. Left_bar_bleue100/100How to make rocks. Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
    Speciality: Simplicity

How to make rocks. Empty How to make rocks.

Post by Pivetor Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

How to make rocks. 1317492267
    ROCK TUTORIAL

I first start out with a document that is 600x400 as that is the normal forum picture size i use.
    Spoiler:

CTR(How to make rocks. Ks_command)+Backspace to make the background image turn black.
    After that go to Filter > Render > Different Clouds Which should then look something like this:
    Spoiler:

Now go to Filter > Render > Lighting Effects and select your light (spotlight) to come from top-left corner of your image, leaving all the other settings intact, like you see in my image below:
    Spoiler:

Now add: Filter > Sketch > Bas Relief with the following values: Detail: 15, Smoothness: 2, Light: Top. Which now should look like this:
    Spoiler:
    Now you see the depth that it has caused. This will soon be modified with simple tools to make it look more third dimension.
    Now you want to duplicate the layer CTR(How to make rocks. Ks_command) + J to duplicate the layer. Set the layer to darken, and aplly a Craquelure filter " Filter > Texture > Craquelure "with the following values: Crack Spacing:80, Crack Depth:4, Crack Brightness:5. Which should look something like this:
    Spoiler:

Now by holding down the shift button click both layers so the highlight blue, then click CTR(How to make rocks. Ks_command) + E to fuse them together.
    Now you wan to Use the Lasso Tool (L) to make a selection like would you like your rock to look like. Click CTR(How to make rocks. Ks_command) + J to duplicate that section creating the rock you want.
    Open an image you want to blend your rock into. and either drag and drop or Paste the rock into a new layer.
    Spoiler:
    then press CTR(How to make rocks. Ks_command + U in order to modify the Hue/Saturation: check Colorize, make it the color that matches your biome best, Grasslands, either mossy green, or a light or dark brownish color.
    Spoiler:
    Now you must darken some parts of your rock and lighten others. Darken the part furthest away from the sun, and add arcs of darkness to create hole like figures in the rocks. Then lighten a small tip that is closest to the light/sun in your picture to create a real looking image. Use a Bigger brush to darken the lower back part of the rock that is facing away from the sun, and then add smaller brush strokes to give it more depth. Then use one giant lighten stroke to highlight the edge that is facing the sun, like so:
    Spoiler:
    Now simply add some normal brush effects, and other tricks you know to make the rock fit in with the environment more.

I suggest Bluring the edges a little so you will not get the chopiness from the rock itself. Example:
    How to make rocks. 1317492267
    How to make rocks. 1317493395
    PickMeDown
    PickMeDown
    Main Administrator
    Main Administrator

Character sheet
    Name: Trollin'
    Health:
    How to make rocks. Left_bar_bleue1/0How to make rocks. Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Speciality: Simplicity

How to make rocks. Empty Re: How to make rocks.

Post by PickMeDown Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 am

Oh mai gawd the result is amazing. When you first posted that image I thought that the rock was actually real. Too bad I have no real use for this now though.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am